Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sicilean Split Pea Soup

Sicilean Split Pea Soup
(adapted from a recipe of Bryanna Clark Grogan, The Fiber For Life Cookbook)

2 large sweet onions, diced coarsely
1 - lb peeled tomatoes *
2 cups baby carrots
4 stalks celery, diced
1-2 Cups chopped fresh spinach or a handful of chopped frozen greens
5 tsp vegetable broth powder (I use frontier)
5 C water
1/2 tsp each thyme and basil
1/2 - 3/4 tsp chopped red chili pepper flakes
1 2/3 - 2 Cups split green peas **
more salt to taste
VARIATION: Sometimes I like to add 1/2 cup of quinoa and lesser amount of split peas.

** I froze 1 lb of whole roma tomatoes in a quart freezer bag. When I want to use these for soups I run warm water over them and the skin comes right off. Sometimes when they are thawed I take my kitchen scissors and chop them right in my soup pot OR I'll microwave thaw them and chopbefore adding.
** 1 2/3 Cups split peas calculates to 2.5 weight watchers flex points per 1 3/4 C serving

No comments: