Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Fat free Russian Dressing and Caraway Fruited Slaw Dressing

This russian dressing is unique, I adapted it from a recipe on recipes.com so that I could use it for my vegan reuben sandwich today. I have to admit, I love balsamic vinegar / garlicy dressing so this gets a C from my pallete, maybe a thicker creamier dressing would have been better for this sandwich. The family did okay with it, we dipped our sandwich into it instead of putting it in our sandwich. Okay, the recipe.....
Add all ingredients into the tall magic bullet cup (blender), blend until thickened:
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1 tsp garlic minced or 1 clove
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup
2/3 C water (or oil)
1/3 tsp xanthan gum (omit if using oil)
1/4 tsp KAL brand stevia extract powder
or 1/4 C sweetener of choice
The Caraway Fruited Slaw Dressing
Mix with electric blender until well blended:
1/2 C preferred vegan mayo (I use a ff homemade version)
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
1/4 - 1/2 C water (use lesser amount first to get the consistency you like)
1/4 tsp Kal brand extract (more if you like it sweeter)
2 tsp caraway seed
Pour over your favorite cabbage slaw. My mix included 5 cups coarsely shredded cabbage, 1 1/2 C halved grapes, 1 large large diced red apple, 1 large dice green pear. Allow salad to marinate in dressing for several hours before serving, esp. if cabbage is very coarsely shredded.

No comments: