Friday, March 24, 2006

Rice Maker Barley Risotto

I have a Zojirushi rice maker. It has a cook button and when it is done the switch pops up and goes to a warm position. I got it at Goodwill for $2.99 several years ago and still works great!

To make this recipe place the following ingredients in the rice maker in any order, give it a stir, put on the lid, and push the cook button:

4 C water
1 ½ Tbsp Frontier brand vegetable broth powder
1 C pearled barley
1 ½ C chopped sweet onion
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp Morton's Nature's Seasoning
2 tsp red miso or ½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried rosemary or thyme
1 ½ Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
¾ C sliced mushrooms (I used canned)
1 C cooked red beans *
½ C slivered red pepper, coarsely chopped
¼ C soymilk (for a creamier feel to the sauce)**
I waited 10 minutes, removed the lid and gave it a stir. The extra liquid in the rice maker then became very creamy with the wait.
Options: Sprinkle with soy parmesan, bac'un bits, or a dallop of soy sour cream/ plain yogurt

Substitution suggestions:
* I use pintos which I cook and freeze in 1 ½ C portions for later use, so they do not have the extra sodium. You will need to adjust the salt to your taste if you use canned beans or fresh mushrooms
** Or 1 Tbsp plain soymilk powder
I served this along side of seitan roast and green beans. A couple slices brest of tofu would be nice also. I just saw a package of vegetarian SPINACH nuggets at the grocery store. They look like chicken nuggets with green insides (probably like a spanikopita??). I thought about trying them, but for $3.75 and 10 fairly high fat nuggets I like making my own just fine. Nuggets with a green salad would make a nice meal completion also.

No comments: