Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins

I wrote about these on my main blog also: HERE)
I make most everything with stevia, so I will give you my version of these muffins.

Wet Mix:
1/2 C smooth applesauce
1 1/2 C soymilk
3 Tbsp light tasting olive oil
1 T lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer
1 1/2 tsp KAL brand stevia

Dry Mix:
2 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Additional:
1 1/2 cup diced rhubarb, can be frozen (mine wasn't)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare muffin cups by greasing or spraying with pan spray (I use special unbleached parchment papers because I like low fat baking and do not want the muffins to stick to the paper and rip apart). Combine the wet mix in the blender or food processor. In a medium bowl combine the dry mix. Add the wet to the dry and stir briefly just to mix. Spoon evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. C Cool the pans on racks for 5 minutes, then carefully loosen the muffins with a table knife and turn them on their sides to cool a bit more before serving. These vegan muffins are quite tender when they are very hot, but they firm up with cooling.

Bryanna makes 18 muffins with this recipe, I made 11. I made a decorated tiramisu type muffin using Dreena's agar frosting, fresh strawberries, and a heart shaped candy. They were a pretty presentation to the end of our meal and for breakfast the next morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have oft wondered about baking with stevia- there aren't many recipes out there that I can tell!
Do you have any online resources you'd like to share? Hmmm?

I'll have to try these (in moderation!! I'm carb sensitive!)

david santos said...

Today it is the World-wide day of the child

Anonymous said...

That sounds so delicious!
You should post it at http://daily-cook-book.blogspot.com!
It really sounds like the kind of recipes they are looking for!
I can't wait to try it!

-_- said...

yammy !

nice work

have a nice day
:))

Jackie said...

Thanks for the recipe.

I have bought a stevia plant but only use the leaves in tea and generally now opt for Xylitol in baking.